One of the best online businesses you can start today is an online nutrition coaching business.
If you are passionate about helping people achieve their health and wellness goals, you should most definitely start an online nutrition coaching business.
There are so many people who want to get fit, healthier and better.
You can start a business as a nutrition coach and help these people realise their goals.
What is Online Nutrition Coaching and How Does It Work?
Online nutrition coaching involves working with clients online to come up with healthy and positive food patterns and routines that align with their health and fitness goals.
As a nutrition coach, you will look at your client’s current lifestyle and diet.
Then you will identify any problems that you can use to give them guidance on the proper meal plan and food calories.
You will also coach your clients through online lessons and courses in the form of videos, consultations, ebooks and digital downloads.
Your clients will then pay you for your nutrition coaching services.
Nutritionists work in hospitals, clinics, healthcare facilities, training and fitness centres, food manufacturing companies, academic institutions, public health organisations, government agencies, community centres, wellness centres and health and food markets.
In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about how to start a business as a nutrition coach.
I will also give you some tips and advice on how you can be a successful nutrition coach while running your business.
Though the competition for online nutritionists is high, doesn’t mean you cannot make money as an online nutrition coach.
Ask yourself, who do you love to coach a lot and the market keeps getting bigger?
For example, you can choose to work with busy pregnant mums who want to lose baby weight as soon as they deliver.
The number of women and babies born in Kenya each day assures you that the market is wide and viable.
You can also choose to work with people that want to maintain their weight.
Some people would rather keep their weight without doing exercises.
The more specific you’re as an online nutrition coach, the more money you make.
People trust experts and they will rave about you if your meal plans work for them.
Use social media to your advantage knowing that the biggest benefactor of an online coach is yourself.
What have you realised about food, exercise, lifestyle, as a nutritionist and as an individual and how can you use this knowledge to serve others or make money with?
Your online presence means never lacking a customer.
You can make more money by providing coaching services, writing ebooks, blogs, YouTube channels, digital downloads all giving information on what you teach in your nutrition classes.
Is Online Nutrition Coaching a Profitable Business?
Yes, an online nutrition coaching business is a very profitable business idea.
You can make a lot of money from this business.
There are high-profit margins involved in this industry and you get to serve a wide customer base.
There is a growing number of people who need nutrition coaching and the demand for these services are high.
You can start your online nutrition coaching business as a part-time or a full-time job and make money.
How Do I Make Money With an Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
You make money with an online nutrition coaching business by giving out experts’ opinions and advice on nutrition plans that are going to work best for your client’s health and fitness goals.
You will package the information you want to put across and sell it as a product to clients.
You can also make money by selling food supplements to your clients.
How Much Does it Cost to Start an Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a lot of money to start an online nutrition coaching business.
You can start making money with an online nutrition coaching business without any money.
For example, by making nutrition videos on YouTube.
If you need to get training and education on nutrition and learn how to be a nutrition coach, you will need to incur these fees in your startup costs.
Overall, starting an online nutrition coaching business has relatively low startup costs.
You can start your online nutrition coaching business on a budget of Ksh. 5,000 to Ksh. 10,000.
How Much Money Can I Make With an Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
Starting an online nutrition coaching business is a profitable business venture.
The amount of money you can make with an online nutrition coaching business will depend on the number of clients you have.
Therefore, you have to channel all your efforts towards advertising and reaching new clients.
The more clients and products you sell, the more money you will make.
You can make Ksh.100,000 or more a month with an online nutrition coaching business.
How Do I Start a Successful Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
You can start as a freelancer and get hired to offer your services or you can run your own business.
Here is a step by step guide on how you can start an online nutrition coaching business.
Pick a niche
The first thing you have to do before you start your business as an online nutrition coach is to decide what you want to specialise in.
You can know what you want to specialise in by looking at the interests that your clients have in their nutrition plans.
Understand what your target customer needs with your business and see if you can follow a path that will get you, clients.
Some of the niches you can choose include becoming a dietician, meal prepping, fitness coaching or healthy eating.
If you do not have a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics or any other related field, you may want to take a course and get certified.
Although certifications are optional, I recommend getting a certificate based on nutrition to build your business credibility.
Oftentimes clients want to work with people who have papers to show for their skills.
You will increase your chances of getting more clients this way.
Look for clients
The next thing you want to do as an online nutrition coach is to find clients for your business.
Since you will be working online, your clients are most likely just browsing the Internet.
You can look at forum sites like Reddit or Quora and see if there are nutrition-based questions that you can answer and get your target audience there.
Market your nutrition coaching business
You have to promote yourself and your business if you want to start working with clients.
You will not only grow your customer base but also grow your business.
Employ good marketing strategies that will help you widen your scope and find more clients for your online nutrition coaching business. More on this later in the article.
Ask for client reviews and testimonials
Ask your clients to give you reviews on how they interacted with your online nutrition coaching sessions.
Positive reviews are good and you can use the negative reviews to improve your nutrition coaching skills.
Make sure you engage your clients
Your clients will seek your services again if they had a wholesome experience while you were coaching them.
This is part of customer service.
Your business will be more successful this way.
It is possible to make hundreds if not thousands of dollars from an online nutrition coaching business.
However, you have to make sure that you keep your pricing fair if you do not want to send clients away.
How Do I Become an Online Nutrition Coach?
To start an online nutrition coaching business, you first have to become a nutrition coach. Here is what you have to do to become a nutrition coach and start your own business.
- Decide if nutrition coaching is for you. Before you do anything, ask yourself if this business you are getting into is the right fit for you. I always say this; do not let money be the biggest motivator for you to get into a business. You will end up quitting along the way.
- Get certified. Next you want to get your certifications right and from a credible institution or program. Like I said, a nutrition coaching certificate shows proof that you are credible and your clients will trust you and be loyal to your online business.
- Adopt healthy nutrition habits. You have to walk the talk when you start an online nutrition coaching business. Although your clients won’t be there to monitor you, it is good to master self discipline when you are running this kind of business. You will be able to guide your clients towards the right path and with enthusiasm.
- Position yourself as a business. After you have built your skills and honed them, you can now start your online nutrition coaching business. You have to find clients and sell your services to them. I will talk more about how you can do this, later in the article.
What Will I Do as an Online Nutrition Coach?
There are certain things that you will be doing on any day in your online nutrition coaching business.
The day in the life of a nutrition coach involves:
- Identifying any bad nutrition based outlooks and behaviours with your clients
- Offering guidance on the nutrition habits your clients should follow
- Coordinating diet of clients to complement fitness regimen
- Educating clients on healthy habits and its benefits
- Teaching healthy cooking and shopping techniques
- Changing bad nutrition behaviours your clients have
- Keeping up with nutrition coaching trends
- Advertising your online nutrition coaching business.
What Do Need to Start an Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
This is what you need to start an online nutrition coaching business.
- A reliable desktop/computer
- A website
- An online nutrition course platform like Coursera, Udemy, Skillshare, Teachable etc.
- A business licence
- Business insurance
What are the Expenses for Starting an Online Nutrition Coaching Business?
When you are starting an online nutrition coaching business, you have to know the initial startup costs and the ongoing expenses that you will incur.
You do not want to end up falling short in your startup budget as you create your business plan.
- Cost of a new computer if you do not already have one.
- Subscription fees to use online course software and online course platforms
- Website expenses if you will be selling online courses from your own personal website
- Licensing fees
- Internet fees
- Marketing expenses
How Much Should I Price My Nutrition Coaching Services?
The amount of money you charge your clients will depend on the following factors.
- Skills and expertise. If you are highly skilled in the area you have specialised in, you may want to charge your clients more because your online nutrition coaching business is highly valued.
- Competition. You can do a competitive analysis of what other online nutrition coaches with similar offerings are charging. Use their pricing model as a base for which you can know what to charge your clients.
- Content. The more complex and detailed the nutritional information is, the more you’d want to charge your clients, because of the commitment and dedication you had to put into it. You will definitely charge less on the basics.
On average, you can start charging your clients Ksh.10,000 per session for your online nutrition coaching.
Keep your pricing competitive and profitable if you want to make more money with an online nutrition coaching business.
Legal Requirements for an Online Nutrition Coaching Business
When you start an online nutrition coaching business, you have to make sure you are in full compliance with the law so that you will not end up paying heavy fines or get your business shut down. These are the necessary permits and licences you need to start an online nutrition coaching business.
- Necessary certifications
- A business licence
- Food & Drugs health certificate
What Skills Do I Need to Start an Online Coaching Business?
There are some skills and qualities that you need to have to start an online nutrition coaching business.
Here are some of the skills and traits you need to have to start and run a successful online nutrition coaching business.
- Communication skills. Online nutrition coaches must be excellent communicators. Have great written and oral communication skills if you want to build good rapport with your clients. Have good listening and writing skills so that you will relay information effectively.
- Interpersonal skills. As an online nutrition coach, you have to know how to connect and interact with your clients. Good interpersonal relationships build trust and loyalty with your customers.
- Planning skills. Be a good planner and come up with the best nutrition plans for your clients. If a client needs advice on a perfect nutrition diet, you should be able to schedule that for them.
- Organisation skills. Greater organisation skills are needed for when you will be handling different clients with different needs. You do not want to mix up your work among your clients as this may lead to problems.
- Patience. You have to be patient with your client’s complaints and demands because nutrition is a very touchy subject and some of these clients may be difficult to deal with. Especially if they do not see immediate results.
- Computer skills. Since you will be spending most of the time online, you must have good computer skills and good knowledge of how to use the various online softwares and programs.
7. Marketing and sales skills. Every business owner including nutrition coaches must know how to sell themselves. If you don’t know how to sell yourself how can you sell your product?
Who are the Clients in a Nutrition Coaching and How Do I Find Them?
Your target clients are people who are looking for online nutrition coaches to learn or get guidance on how they can achieve their nutrition goals.
Getting clients doesn’t have to be hard. Your clients are online and this is what you can do to attract them.
Create a website
Your website should have good content about your online nutrition coaching.
Start a blog and drive traffic to your site. You should optimise your website so that it appears on top of the list when someone searches for it on Google.
Go online and start a website blog about your online nutrition coaching business.
Take time to optimise your website for SEO and also build content.
Your website will create a first impression on your clients and this will determine if they seek your services or not.
Use social media
Use the connections you have built online to talk about your online nutrition coaching business.
Go to Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or LinkedIn and share relevant content.
Use forum sites
Go on Quora or Reddit and look at some of the questions people ask about nutrition.
You can give them advice and then ask them to contact you for more.
Survey your clients
Examine the prospective clients that you have and prepare survey questions for them.
Ask them what they want from your online nutrition coaching business.
You can also ask for testimonials and reviews from them.
Ask for referrals
Have a referral program, whereby if a customer is satisfied with your online nutrition coaching business, they can recommend someone else to seek your services.
Use the email addresses of potential customers to send them interesting alerts about products you come up with in your nutrition coaching business.
Pros of an Online Nutrition Coaching Business
These are some of the benefits of starting an online nutrition coaching business.
- Earning passive income. You can make money from an online nutrition coaching business passively. This means you can start this business as a side job and get extra cash to supplement your income.
- Little startup costs. An online coaching business has little startup costs. Most of the equipment you need you already have. You just have to find good software and an online nutrition coaching platform to get started. You may also need to get certification (optional) which may cost you some money.
- Flexibility of time and work. As an online nutrition coach, you get to set your own work schedule on the time which you will be available. You do not have to stick to a strict routine to instruct your clients..
- Wide client base. The Internet is one global village. You will have clients from all round the world who are in need of your online nutrition coaching services. This means you serve a wider market.
- Meeting interesting people. When you start your online sessions and you engage your clients with live chats, you will be meeting people around the globe. You will make meaningful connections this way.
- Have multiple products. You can have a blog, YouTube channel, an Instagram account, ebooks, PDF guides and digital downloads talking about nutrition.
Disadvantages of an Online Nutrition Coaching Business
These are the problems and challenges you will face when you start an online nutrition coaching business.
- Difficult to find clients. You have to have good marketing strategies and actively promote yourself and your business if you want to get more clients.
- High competition. There is high competition from other online nutrition coaches, blogs and video content. You have to make sure that you can offer your clients something unique if you want to attract them and make them stay.
Mistakes to Avoid in Online Nutrition Coaching Business
There are some common mistakes that most online nutrition coaching business owners have made that may have hindered their success.
If you want to start a stable online nutrition coaching business, you have to know what these mistakes are so that you can avoid them and build your successful business.
Here are tips and tricks on how you can avoid these mistakes and make money successfully with your online nutrition coaching business.
- Starting with heavy nutrition concepts. When you start overwhelming your clients with difficult concepts, they may find you incompetent. Start with basic knowledge so that you may set a good foundation for your clients.
- Not paying attention to your clients. Always seek to understand your target audience. What problem do they need to solve with your online nutrition coaching business? Understanding customer needs is important for any business.
- Failure to improve your skills. You have to keep learning and advance your nutrition skills so that you can give the best tips and knowledge to your clients who need them.
- Overpricing your services. Do not set your charges too high if you want to attract and retain clients. You may start with giving your clients free trials so that you may build your client base first.
- Failure to market your business. When you do not promote yourself or your online nutrition coaching business, you will not tap into the market base that you would want to serve. This means that you will make much less money than you’d want to.
Unique Online Nutrition Coaching Business Ideas
As you start your online nutrition coaching business, there are different niches that you can tap into and start your business there.
You do not have to do what everyone else is doing.
Imitation is a bad game.
Find a distinguishing factor that is going to set you apart from the competition.
Here are some ideas you can use to start your online nutrition coaching business today.
- Start a nutrition coaching blog
- Create an online nutrition course
- Group nutrition coaching
- Sell ebooks and digital products
- Nutrition membership
- Live workshops
FAQs on How to Start an Online Nutrition Coaching Business in Kenya
- How do I market myself as a nutrition coach online?
Do market research
Offer free meal plans
Have a website
Use social media
Start a blog
Offer free content
2. How do I get nutrition clients?
Google My Business
Start conversations on Twitter
3. How do I start a successful online nutrition business?
What do you do?
What do you want to share? For example meals for weight loss post-baby, workout plans?
Who’s your client and where are they?
Build a brand
Have a website
Have and choose a brand name, a brand name sets you apart.
4. What’s a nutrition coach and why are they important?
Calculate caloric needs
Teach healthy portion sizes
Discuss pros and cons of various diets
Teach how to navigate grocery stores
Teach how to read food labels
Dispel nutrition myths and fallacies
5. Is there a demand for nutrition coaches?
Yes, there’s a demand for nutrition coaches.
6. What are 10 careers in food and nutrition?
Food safety auditor
Public health nutritionist
Food product development scientist
Food labelling specialist
Resources Related to Starting an Online Nutrition Coaching Business
How to Start a Successful Gym Business in Kenya
Online Nutrition Business Ideas in Kenya
Health and Wellness Home Business Opportunities in Kenya
Health and Wellness Products to Sell From Home in Kenya
Make a Living Designing Meal Plans for Profit in Kenya
With the rise of technology, nutrition coaching has moved from a traditional setup of an office and a desk to an online platform.
It is possible for people around the globe today to get in touch with expert online nutrition coaches to help them realise their nutrition goals.
Nutrition coaching is a business that keeps growing and serves a wide customer base.
As you start your online nutrition coaching business, focus on giving your clients the best advice and do a regular follow up to check how it is going for them.
Do you want to start a nutrition coaching business online?
What are the pros and challenges you face as a nutrition coach online?