When fighting joblessness a decade ago, a hiring agency would be a dream come true for me.
I had trouble finding a job not because I am not a desirable hire but due to the scarcity of opportunities and my, ‘I can do any kind of job’ I gave employers.
A hiring agency helps ‘fix’ the right candidate for the right job.
You must know what your skills, natural gifts and talents are and importantly, your purpose.
Why do you want to get this job and is the job an enhancement of your skills or will this job provide you with a good quality of life?
If you want to get hired for the sake of making money without any specific goals, then, it may be hard to find a job.
Do you have trouble finding a job in today’s competitive candidate market?
You ask, why haven’t they hired me?
Are you tired of seeing and hearing Kenyan youths talk about hopelessness and helplessness in finding jobs?
A lot of companies and job seekers today want to get the right candidates or the right jobs without having to go through the painful task of endless hiring and job hunting.
That is why starting a hiring agency will help find the right candidate for the job and help save companies lots of money.
Starting a hiring agency is a profitable move in a pandemic where people lost their job and need something going before deciding on the next move.
The high rate of unemployment plaguing Kenya each year will help you not only make a profit in your hiring agency but help youth find a job.
Starting a hiring agency is like any business requiring you to have a business plan, learn how to manage a business and have an entrepreneur mindset.
Above all, you must know how to market your hiring agency in order to reach many people.
The best marketing strategies are online because most youths start their job search on social media or Google.
You don’t have to help people find jobs only, to make more money with your hiring agency, you can become a career coach, start a resume writing business, become a blogger/vlogger and talk about getting a job and why some people won’t get hired.
This way, you not only make one income but have multiple streams of income through your hiring agency.
What’s a Hiring Agency?
A hiring agency is an institution that works with employers to match the right candidate for a job role in the company’s open position.
Hiring agencies are very resourceful to employers because they enable a company to get the necessary tools to improve its talent search.
There are many activities that take place in a day in a company and when hiring qualified employees is not one of its topmost priorities, they need to put this responsibility to people they can work well with and trust.
That is why they approach hiring agencies.
What Does a Hiring Agency Do?
When you start a hiring agency, you want to offer efficient, cost-effective and typically better outcomes for both parties involved. There are certain roles and tasks that you will need to perform on behalf of clients. These services include:
- You have to find the next valuable hire fo a company after you have been provided with the resources and guidance that the company needs to hire it’s next valuable employee.
- Reach out to candidates through job boards and posts so that you may find interested and qualified candidates for hire.
- Hiring on behalf of the company after reviewing the candidate’s resume and assessing that he or she is the perfect candidate for the job.
- Giving a relevant job role to the candidates after going through their profile and matching them up with the job they see is relevant to their skills..
- Provide coaching on how to ace interviews and pass employee tests.
- Give specialist advice in specific fields and what is needed to succeed in those fields.
- Updates you on your final results of whether you got the job or not.
- Give constructive feedback from employers and after each interview.
Is Starting a Hiring Agency Profitable?
Before you start your own business, it is important to know if the idea is feasible and if you can actually make a good profit from this business.
In today’s job economy, there are many people looking for jobs and employers seeking to hire quality employees to fill vacant positions in their firms.
Despite the rise in job board posts and social network connectivity, there is always a need to find efficient and cost-effective ways to help people job hunt and hire.
For this matter, hiring agencies are in high demand.
This makes starting a hiring agency in itself a goldmine.
A hiring agency is a lucrative and extremely profitable business you can start.
How Do I Start a Hiring Agency?
Starting your own hiring agency has its ups and downs. It is almost inevitable that you will face serious challenges along the way.
These steps are some of the fundamental ingredients in the recipe of a successful hiring agency owner.
- Choose the hiring services you want to offer. Decide on what kind of services you want to offer. Do you want to exclusively serve employers or job seekers? Be specific about the niche that you want to serve. For example, you can choose to focus on technical or business related jobs.
- Assess your hiring skills. If you do not have experience in working in a hiring firm, it is important that you learn the basic skills and strategies of operating a hiring agency. For starters, hiring consultants must have excellent communication skills so that they can pass correct information between the companies and job seekers. Leadership skills are also a must for this type of work.
- Study competition in your niche. What level of competition is there in your chosen niche? If there is high competition, chances are there is high job demand in that particular field. Make a decision if you want to keep on advancing into that niche or explore other options. You can also choose to partner with an existing hiring agency to support your own goals.
- Deliberate cost of starting the business. What are the starting and running costs for your hiring agency? You also have to evaluate how much money you need for rent as well as for your employees salary. This will help you determine how much money you need in loan to start your recruiting business.
- Get licensed. Get the necessary certifications and clearance from your local authority to start your hiring agency. Being on the right side of the law ensures that your hiring operations are not interrupted due to failure of compliance with the law.
- Choose a location. Find a place that both job seekers and employers can easily access. Your hiring agency should be noticeable and in an area that has many employment opportunities. You should also set up your agency online to drive more traffic.
- Have a marketing plan. Marketing is essential to put your business out there and inform your clients that you exist. Marketing strategies should focus on identifying potential clients and learning about what they want.
How Do I Become a Hiring Agent?/What are the Requirements for Starting a Hiring Agency Business?
If you want to work for a hiring agency or start your own agency, you will need some educational background in human resource management or any related degrees.
There are other alternative degrees that can also give you a chance to start your own hiring business.
If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, you can always take courses, go through training and gain some experience to be qualified as a hiring agent.
As you are starting your own hiring agency, there are some necessary permits and certifications that you need to have before you are allowed to start operations.
- Business license
- Tax permit
- Occupancy permit
- Kenya Revenue Authority Personal Identification Number (KRA PIN), if you are in Kenya.
What are the Expenses of Starting a Hiring Agency?
These are some of the costs you will have to incur when you start your own hiring agency.
- Website costs. This is useful if you are just setting upon your hiring agency online or when you have your own company. It will cost you around Ksh. 5000 to get a decent website.
- A computer. You need to have a computer with good internet connections because that’s where you will.be doing a lot of your work, aside from some paperwork.
- An office space. You can have your own home office if you are setting up a freelance hiring agency, or get an actual office space in a company. This will cost you rental charges.
- Legal fees. You will need to get the necessary permits,certifications and business licenses which are issued at a fee.
- Software. You need to have proper and effective software to keep your customers database safe and secure. Fees may vary depending on what software you choose.
- Marketing costs. You need to factor in the expenses you will incur when promoting your hiring agencies on different platforms.
- Staff. If you are working with people in your hiring agency, you need to pay them their salary, so that is also part of your expenses.
How Much Does It Cost to Start a Hiring Agency?
How Much Does It Cost to Start a Hiring Agency?
This will depend on whether you are starting your own hiring agency from the comfort of your home or you are going full-on and starting a company.
If you choose to go the freelance way, it is cheaper and affordable. For a company, however, on average, it should cost you around Ksh. 750,000 to start your own hiring agency.
How Do I Make Money With a Hiring Agency?
If you are wondering how you are going to get paid for your hiring services, the company takes care of that. Many candidates believe that hiring agencies that ask them for a fee for their services are scammers.
So you need to consult with the company you are working for and charge a markup cost of between 25% to 100% of the hired employee’s salary.
You should also charge additional fees for filing the position or a contract buyout fee if you’ve hired a permanent employee.
How Much Can I Make From a Hiring Agency?
The amount you make with a hiring agency in Kenya depends on a few factors. Like what services do you offer? Apart from hiring/helping people connect with jobs they love, do you offer consultations as a career coach?
Do you help candidates struggling with writing their resumes write impressive resumes expressing their skills, talents and natural gifts?
The more services you offer, tailor-made for job-seekers, the more money you make.
You can make as much as a million or more a month or tens of millions of shillings a month.
To make more money have multiple streams of income, for example, by blogging about job vacancies, vlogging on YouTube about how to write resumes, having a resume writing agency, serving as a career coach are ideas to increase your income as a hiring agency.
What are the Best Skills a Hiring Agent Must Have?
There are some skills and qualities that you need to have in order to start a successful hiring agency and become a great hiring agent.
- Communication skills. Working in a hiring agency means that you will be interacting with your clients on the daily. To be a great hiring agent, you need to have excellent communication skills. Be ready to listen to your client’s needs and put out accurate information about a company so that you can encourage candidates to apply to your agency.
- Relationship building skills. You will be working with people in your agency so you have to build a good relationship with your employees, company and candidates. Fostering good relationships creates a healthy working environment in business.
- Attention to detail. Be keen on what your client company wants especially when reviewing the right candidate for the specific job role. If you miss any important details, you are likely to be incompetent.
- Patience. Client companies are usually so demanding in hiring agencies. Job seekers will also give you a hard time when they want to know if they are qualified for a position in the firm. You have to make sure that you can work under pressure and get things done.
- Time management. Good time management is important so that you can hire workers for your client company at the right time. You also have to respond to the candidate’s questions on if they have gotten a job at the appropriate time. Hiring agencies are notoriously known for going M.I.A on job candidates so you want to do your best in this.
- Listening skills. Polish your listening skills and practice active listening. This way, you will be able to understand your client’s needs and you will deliver exactly what is required of you.
- Confidence. Hiring does not need someone who is unsure of themselves. If you are doubting Thomas, this job is not for you. You need to convince your client company that the person you have hired is the right fit for the job and they cannot find anyone else who is as qualified.
- Multitasking. You will be handling a lot of tasks in your hiring process so you need to know how you can balance consulting your client company, running background checks on candidates, reviewing resumes etc. and not lose track of your goals.
How Do I Attract Clients to My Hiring Agency?
Getting clients for your hiring agency doesn’t have to be hard. You do not have to look too far. Here is how clients will know about your services and look for you.
- Survey job candidates. Examine the prospective job candidates that you have and prepare survey questions for them. This will allow you to generate new leads and also respond to some of their questions about your agency.
- Ask for referrals. Have a referral program, whereby if a client is satisfied with your work and was successfully hired into a company, they can recommend their unemployed friends or acquaintances to seek and obtain your services.
- Social media connectivity. Leverage the connections you have built online to get clients for your hiring agency. Use Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter to advertise your hiring agency so that people will contact you.
- Business cards. Have a business card with good branding, business details and contact information about your hiring agency so that your clients will know how to reach you when need arises.
- Create a website. Build a website where you can host job boards and allow candidates to filter and search for jobs by category. Optimise it so that it appears on top of the lists when someone searches for it on Google.
- Word of mouth. Be the expert hiring agency everyone knows about and within no time, people will start contacting you for your services after hearing about many success hiring stories.
How Do I Promote My Hiring Agency?
It is not enough that you only serve your first clients alone. You need to promote your services and market your home improvement business so that more people can know about you and you can expand your client base. If you want to promote business and create more leads, you can do this.
- Social Media. Use the connections you have on social media and use that to advertise your hiring agency on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter. LinkedIn is notorious for having many client companies and job candidates. This is the best platform to use. Set up your profile and share relevant information about your agency to create leads.
- Website. Go online and host job boards on your website.. Take time to optimise your website for SEO and also build content for your client to filter and search for jobs by category.Your website will create a first impression on your clients and this will determine if they seek your services or not.
- Posters / Flyers. This is a good method for offline promotion of your hiring agency. If you want to make your agency known to your clients, use postcards and flyers with good branding, details and contact information. This will increase your chances of attracting more people to look for your hiring services.
- Word-of-mouth. When you can successfully find and hire candidates for a company, you build your brand through that. Let your work speak for you. It is easier to get more clients this way. When people can acknowledge how great your services are, they will most definitely tell people who you are and how they can get in touch with you for your hiring services. Ask for referrals and testimonials to get more clients.
- Email Marketing. Run an email sequence on your clients and offer solutions and tips to take care of their pain points. You can offer free resources or provide educational content if you want to build trust and loyalty with them.
- Business Listings and Directories. Make your hiring agency available on sites such as Google so that people can come online and search for your services easily. Create a business profile and share relevant content about your hiring agency.
- Networking. Connect with industry experts and participate in local and community events and meet new people. You will find people who are looking for jobs in these social gatherings.
What are the Advantages of Starting a Hiring Agency?
Recruitment agencies have the following advantages.
- Faster hiring. Typically, it may take a company around three months to find the right employee for a job position. With a hiring agency, this time scope is reduced to less than a month, because the hiring agency always has the name of a job seeker in case of an opening.
- Quality employees. A hiring agency aims to match the best job seekers with a specific role in the organisation. Quality is always guaranteed as employees are prepped on how to perform better.
- Expert opinion and advice. Hiring agents can give you insight on what the current job market looks like and what it wants. They can also suggest to you some job positions that they believe will match your skills.
- Temporary hiring. Employers who are not looking for permanent employees can get temporary employees through hiring agencies.
- On demand. Hiring agencies are in high demand and if you start your agency, the one thing that you can tell me or anyone is that you will never lack clients who seek your services.
What are the Disadvantages of Starting a Hiring Agency?
These are some of the problems and challenges you will face when you start a hiring agency.
- Demanding work. Like I said, employers are looking for the best candidates and job seekers are looking for the best jobs. To match these two up with the right person/company may be quite daunting and you may feel overwhelmed.
- High startup costs. Starting and running a recruitment agency is an expensive venture. To work with a hiring agency, you must also pay a fee, which is also expensive.
- Lack of trust. A hiring agency will not advertise your company to your expectations. This may leave a negative impact on your company if job seekers do not want to work for you. You want to make sure you are as efficient and effective in your hiring process so that you can build trust with your clients.
- Lack of communication. A lot of people complain about the poor communication skills exhibited by hiring agents in delivering information. They may delay with information or fail to respond to their clients all together.
How Do I Run a Successful Hiring Agency in Kenya?
Starting a hiring agency is not enough. You have to know how to make it efficient and fully functional so that it can fulfil its main objectives. This is how you can run a successful hiring agency.
- Do your research. Do a thorough research on the current job market so that you can know what it looks like and what employers are looking for in a job candidate. This will give you a clear understanding of how you are to start your hiring process in your hiring agency and you will become more efficient this way.
- Improve your skills. Build your skills and always work on them because it will come in handy when you are working in your hiring agency and hiring people.
- Proper budgeting. Calculate all the expenses you are going to incur in your hiring agency so that you do not fail to pay your employees or settle other overhead costs.
- Hiring right. You have to hire right. You are not going to be paid to mess up. If you want to run a successful hiring agency, you have to get the right people for the job.
Tips for Starting a Multi-Million Shilling Hiring Agency in Kenya
Starting a hiring agency can be a bit daunting. Your main objective in starting a hiring agency should be to be as cost-effective and as efficient as possible.
Job seekers and client companies want to know that they can fully rely on you to deliver the best talents to their job positions. For that, you need to have proper mastery of hiring skills so that you can avoid being incompetent.
How to Improve Your Hiring Skills
This is how you can improve your hiring skills and be more efficient in hiring the right people.
- Get additional education. If you managed to start a hiring agency but you do not have any related background education in this line of work, you have to go and get some educational experience on human resource management. If you have this degree already, you can further your studies. The more experience you have, the more credible your skills are.
- Don’t be too hard on candidates. Make it easy for candidates to pass the hiring process. Do not rely too much on resumes and always communicate with them as much as possible. Hold simple interviews and always be keen if you want to hire the best talent.
- Network. Get in touch with other experts in your field and learn from them. You will not only acquire new skills but you will also share in their pool of skilled talent.
- Practice active listening. Be an active listener when you are taking note of what your client company is looking for in a candidate. You do not want to miss any information that is going to be useful in your hiring process.
Related Resources on How to Start a Hiring Agency in Kenya
Career Coach Business Ideas in Kenya
How to Start a Resume Writing Business in Kenya
Starting a Skilled Workers Agency in Kenya
There are many unemployed graduates and companies that want skilled talent to fill their job positions.
Starting a hiring agency is the best idea if you want to utilise this ready market and start earning a living.
Are you thinking of starting a hiring agency in Kenya? What are the hurdles you meet as a hiring agency business owner?